Friday, March 13, 2009

Gio Update pt. 2

Another update. There are so many people following along with Gio's progress that it is just easier to post it all here instead of answering individual e-mails.

Again, thank you everyone for your support! I really appreciate all of the positive outcome stories I have received from people who have had dogs go through a similar thing. And everyone else for the positive thoughts.

It is definitely working!!

I just got back from another visit with Gio. Great big "thanks" to my boss who is very "dog friendly" and lets me run out of the lab whenever I need to to go visit or meet with the vets.

Gio is doing even better this afternoon than he was this morning. Much perkier, puking less (frequency and volume), and just seems to be in better spirits. The vets said that he wouldn't pee for anyone there, so I took him out for a walk around the parking lot. He must have been saving it for me, cause that boy drained his bladder for a solid minute! The technician was thrilled that he went for me, as she didn't want to have to catheterize him again.

He is on an anti-nausea drug and an antacid to try and help calm things down a bit. Still IV fluids and pain meds. The plan ... they are waiting for him to stop vomiting for at least 12 hours, then offer some water. If he can keep that down then a little bit of food. If that says down, too, then he gets to come home! The student said maybe tomorrow evening, but the vet in charge of the case said more likely Sunday or Monday. The size of the bill is growing, but as long as Gio gets to come home I will find a way to pay for it. I'm thrilled with how well he is doing, and the vets are equally pleased with the great leaps he is making in his recovery!

I'm headed back there tomorrow morning for another visit and a "pee walk". Since he seems to puke most when they get him up to move him around, I'm hoping that by waiting until visiting time at 9am tomorrow that will give him a good 17 hours to rest and become "puke free".

Thanks again, everyone. I will keep you updated as I know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment