Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Mighty Hunter


I feed my boys a raw diet based on the Prey Model feeding design (See links in the left hand column for information on a raw diet for dogs). In the search to expand the variety that I can feed them, it is possible for a raw diet to get expensive. As I am a grad student (ie. working on a limited budget), I strive to keep things as inexpensive as I can. It's pretty manageable, really. I average around $2/lb, and with the price of meat in this area, that is a lot higher than many other places in the world. Gio, my 40lb boy, eats about 1lb per day. Romeo, the light-weight at 15lb, eats about 1/4lb per day. So roughly $2.50 per day, give or take.

Part of my strategy to keep prices low is to take advantage of stores that offer discounts on meats that are approaching their "Best By" dates. There is an Extra Foods in my neighborhood that sticks wonderful little 50% off stickers on meat that is a day before their marked date. You've got to fight off all the other people, but by going to the store at just the right time on the right day, you can get away with a pretty good haul!

Today I was able to make off with 4 packs of turkey wings and 1 pack of boneless turkey thighs, all for half price. I also picked up two big packs of pork side ribs that were on sale. Yum Yum!

The boys LOVE shopping days ...

"Oooh! Ma got pressies for us!"

Look at all those wonderful pink stickers!


And the boys are always sure to "help" me package everything up for storing.

"Ma is a pretty good hunter. But we stick close by, just in case something tries to make a run for it!"

The finished product, ready for the freezer.


Unfortunately for the puppers, nothing tried to run away while I was bagging things up this time. Their guarding efforts were in vain. They may look sad now, but they will be eager to try, try again next shopping day!

"Quick, look sad. Maybe she will let us lick off the counter."


No comments:

Post a Comment