Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Beginning


I'm just going to start this all off with some introductions.

About Me!

I'm a graduate student, nearing the end of her term, focusing on Holstein coat color genetics. I am fortunate enough to be working with a researcher that is just as much a "dog person" as I am. Much of her research focuses on dog coat color, a personal passion of mine, so when I am not working on my cattle project, I get to be right in the middle of the breaking research of dog genetics. I'm currently at the writing stage of my project, finishing up the final bits of my thesis. Soon, a date will be set for my defense, I will resume heavy drinking, probably cry a lot ... and then I will officially be a "big girl". Off to the world of employment after 22 years of school. I'm excited, scared, giddy, and in mourning all at the same time.

Outside of the lab, I am very involved in the local dog community. I have been involved in NAFA flyball since 2004. I began training with a local flyball club about a year later. Summer of 2006 I began my adventures with CARO Rally-O, tracking and therapy dog work. That led to CKC obedience and eventually CKC Rally-O. Winter 2007/08 I began training with a local kennel and obedience club, taking on some Beginner Rally-O classes and assisting with Novice and Advanced classes.

Now that is the end of the boring stuff ... on to the dogs!

About Gio!

Gio is a 6 year old, over-sized sable male Shetland Sheepdog. He was purchased by my parents from a back-yard breeder in 2002 and was given to me as a high school graduation present. I do not condone back-yard breeders ... but I wouldn't trade Gio for the world. He was dealt a difficult hand, dealing with structural issues in his back end and idiopathic epilepsy. Despite all this, he is an over-achiever and keener to the very end. He was my introduction to dog sports, beginning with flyball when he insisted that he really DID need a job. It was because of his health that he retired from flyball after only a couple of years. But he wanted to keep working, so we took on Rally-O, tracking and therapy dog work. He excelled, and continues to excel, at all of it. Breaking all molds and stretching all preconceived boundaries. He recently got his Performance Even Number (PEN) from CKC so will begin competing in CKC obedience and CKC Rally-O at the end of August 2008.

About Romeo!

Romeo is a 2 year old, tri-color male Shetland Sheepdog. He joined the family at the age of 9 months after not quite "measuring up" to be a show dog. But his breeder recognized his potential for performance sports and sought to find him a home that would take advantage of that potential. I was fortunate enough to pass the test and brought Romeo home in May 2007. He began training in flyball and Rally-O right away, competing in both by November of that year. Next was CKC obedience. He is currently training in agility and will begin competing in CKC Rally-O at the end of August 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment